Today, I started from scratch in an empty account on an eight-year-old Linux box. I installed Quicklisp and used it to install Weblocks. I had a Weblocks server up and running in under three minutes.
Quicklisp Win: Weblocks
June 2nd, 2011
Binary Logging with CL-Log
April 6th, 2011
One of the things that my current work does better than anywhere I’ve worked before is logging. When something goes wrong, there is a log file that you can dig through to find all kinds of information about what you were doing and how things were going.
As I move forward programming a game with my UNet library, I want to make sure that I can easily log all the network traffic during testing runs at least.
I installed it in no time with quicklisp.
Then, I set to work trying to figure out how I could use it to log binary data.
Here’s what I ended up with. If you want to do something similar, this should give you a good starting point.
Serializing, unserializing, and categorizing
With my USerial library, I defined a serializer to keep track of the different categories of log messages. And, I made corresponding categories in cl-log.
(make-enum-serializer :log-category (:packet :error :warning :info)) (defcategory :packet) (defcategory :error) (defcategory :warning (or :error :warning)) (defcategory :info (or :warning :info))
Specializing the classes
There are two major classes that I specialized: base-message and base-messenger. For my toying around, I didn’t end up adding any functionality to the base-message class. I will show it here though so that you know you can do it.
(defclass serialized-message (base-message) ()) (defclass serialized-messenger (base-messenger) ((filename :initarg :filename :reader serialized-messenger-filename)))
Then, I overrode the messenger-send-message generic function to create a binary header with my USerial library and then write the header and the message out.
(defmethod messenger-send-message ((messenger serialized-messenger) (message serialized-message)) (let ((header (make-buffer 16))) (serialize* (:uint64 (timestamp-universal-time (message-timestamp message)) :log-category (message-category message) :uint64 (buffer-length :buffer (message-description message))) :buffer header) (with-open-file (stream (serialized-messenger-filename messenger) :direction :output :if-does-not-exist :create :if-exists :append :element-type '(unsigned-byte 8)) (write-sequence header stream) (write-sequence (message-description message) stream))))
To get things going, I then made a log manager that accepts my serialized-message type and started one of my serialized-messenger instances.
(setf (log-manager) (make-instance 'log-manager :message-class 'serialized-message)) (start-messenger 'serialized-messenger :name "binary-logger" :filename "/tmp/binary-log.dat")
Once these were started, I made a little utility function to make it easy for me to make test messages and then invoked log-message a few times.
(defun make-info (string) (serialize :string string :buffer (make-buffer))) (log-message :warning (make-info "Warning")) (log-message :info (make-info "This is info"))
In all, it has taken me about four times as long to write blog post as it did to install cl-log with quicklisp, peek through the cl-log documentation and source code enough to figure out how to do this, and write all of the code.
To really use this, I will probably separate out the category of a message from the serialized type of the message. This will probably involve adding a field to the serialized-message class to track the message type, adding an initialize-instance :before method for that class to look through the arguments to pull out the type, and then adding the type as an extra argument to log-message.
November 17th, 2010
I installed Quicklisp tonight. It was super-simple. In about 1/2 an hour, I got slime up and running and installed all of the packages that I regularly use.
It installs itself in a quicklisp/ subdirectory of your home directory. I didn’t really want it cluttering up my normal ls output, so I moved it to .quicklisp/ and updated my .sbclrc to refer to this new path. It had to recompile everything when I loaded it next, but it handled it gracefully.
It took me less than a minute to get slime set up. This is an improvement of about five hours and fifty-nine minutes over the previous time that I set up slime.
I definitely give my two thumbs up for Quicklisp.